Skip to main content

Removing Planks and Seeing Clearly


Is it ever appropriate to speak out about sin even though we all have sinned?
Worded this way most of us would say, "sure!, of course. Especially if the Bible calls it sin."  And I would agree.
What if I worded the question like this?
"Since we have all sinned, and many of us sin terribly in secret, is it hypocritical to condemn the sin of someone else?"
This one should make us all think a little more before answering. 
I think Jesus spoke to this matter. In his famous Sermon on the Mount, Jesus spoke these words in Matthew 7:1ff
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
It would take a lengthy post indeed to explain this section of scripture in-depth, so I'm just going to make a few observations, and hopefully encourage you do dig further on your own.
People love to throw out Matthew 7:1 whenever anyone points out someone else s sin. "Judge not, lest ye be judged"...always in the King James too, it seems.  This has become the most often quoted scripture in public discourse...now quoted more often than John 3:16. I love Paul Washers response to people that misuse this verse.
"Twist not scripture, lest ye be like Satan!"
So how are people "twisting" scripture when that use this verse to silence people who condemn sinful behavior in others? It takes a careful look, because reading the illustration that follows, could further lead one to the wrong conclusion. In one of Jesus's most humorous moments, Jesus crafts a word picture that is fairly simple to understand. The simple meaning, "consider your own sin--which we see clearly, before rashly condemning sin in others--which can not always be so clearly seen."  This advice, along with this entire "sermon", was apparently spoken to his close disciples, even though in the movies. and Sunday-school flannel-graphs Jesus is always preaching to a huge crowd. The key to a balanced understanding of this section, is to focus on the idea of "seeing".  The passage concludes with the statment, "first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly..."  We can't see into the mind of another person, and we are never to pretend that we can do what only that person and God can do. That is the offence when we "judge" someone else. There is only one Judge. If we pretend to see the motives of someone else's heart, we attempt to unseat the one true and righteous Judge. 
So back to the question I first posed. "is it ever appropriate to condemn the sin of someone else?"
It depends. If dealing with a brother or sister in Christ, then YES!  Outward public sin, or hidden sin proved by many trustworthy witnesses must and should be "rebuked" (censured, admonished)...always with a goal to encourage repentance and restoration. If it's on a personal level, a humble, loving, exhortation is appropriate.
1 Timothy 5:20  Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning.
2 Timothy 4:2  preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.
1 Corinthians 5:6bDo you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough? Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump...
Ephesians 4:15 Rather, speaking the truth in love,
We can't truly know the state of another persons soul, but when dealing with someone that most likely is a non-believer, I would say it's probably not the best idea to confront sin unless you are evangelizing that person, or trying to protect the innocence of children. And even then, done with love. 
Proverbs 9:7 Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults; whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse. Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you.

* This is a tough subject for a short blog post and it was not meant to be comprehensive. Please feel free to comment and add your own thoughts. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,