Skip to main content

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate


The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning.


Ephesians 5:31-32, which quotes Genesis 2:24


Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with hatred or bigotry I will attempt to explain.


From what I can gather, the government is only involved in this issue at all because at some point it was decided that it would be in the best interest of the welfare of our society if the government incentivized marriage. Thinking that marriages produce families, and strong families produce certain benefits to society. This is not necessarily Bible based, but based on common sense and wisdom. It’s hard to argue the statistics that I’ve seen to show this to be true.


Some want to frame this as a civil rights debate. Others see the act of the Federal government effectively redefining the word ‘marriage’ to mean, well, whatever you want it to mean, as a bad idea. For now, some want to include same-sex couples into the definition. Seems fair. But what happens, when down the road, some want to include adult-minor couples? What about multiple-partners? Human-animal couples? It seems foolish to say these things, but remember, homosexuality was officially considered a mental disorder only a few decades ago. You might argue that it’s immoral for adults to marry children, or for a man to have multiple wives, but there is the problem. That word “immorality.” That assumes that there is such a thing. If there is such a thing, then who or what decides what is right and what is wrong. The “majority?” Elected officials? Unelected officials? The bible? Without a foundational moral authority that transcends humanity, then there is no such thing as immorality. You couldn’t fault anyone for doing anything, because even the argument for not harming another person is a moral argument. If you say ,”it’s wrong to harm someone else.” Says who? How much harm? Why is your harm more important than my pleasure? Can you see the morass that can quickly develop?


There is no law that I know of preventing anyone from having any kind of ceremony they want right now in any state. The debate is not about whether same-sex couples can have a wedding ceremony, the debate is about government sanction of the redefinition of marriage This is the cultural gut check. Do we want our government to redefine marriage, and therefore sanction benefits to same-sex couples, and by implication condone the morality of such a thing? If we do; Will this be enough? We know that it won’t be.


Opponents of the government sanctioning of same-sex unions (calling this marriage ) can see a day coming (and that day is here) where pastors are sued for objecting to officiating same-sex weddings. Churches will be sued for denying same-sex couples use of their facilities? Christians will be arrested for “hate speech” when they defend the bible’s teaching on homosexuality. The end-game is obvious. The pro-homosexual agenda will only be satisfied when anything or anyone that would label their lifestyle immoral… is removed and silenced…one way or another. They are fighting for institutionalized acceptance of immorality… I’m fighting for my freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju