Skip to main content

The Bible on Entertainment - PART 6 The Stumbling Block Filter

THE STUMBLING BLOCK FILTER

As we consider the “filters” that a Christian should apply to entertainment, one of the most often forgotten, or perhaps the least known about, is the “stumbling block” filter. Many times when we are engaged in some sort of entertainment, we are experiencing it with another person or a group. In any relationship, there usually is someone who has more influence than the others. This “leader” will usually set the standard for the group. The “followers” will quite often follow along with whatever the leader does. If you ever find yourself in this “leader” position (even if it’s just one other person following) you need to consider whether or not your actions are placing a ‘stumbling block’ in the path of your ‘followers’. If you are a parent, or have a position of influence on children, I would encourage you to take very seriously the things mentioned in this section.

Romans 14:13b…make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.

Here is this verse in plain English:
Make every effort to adjust your own behavior so that you will not do something that will cause another Christian to be tempted to do something that is wrong according to their own conscience or their authority’s standards.

What is a ‘Stumbling block’?
Practically speaking, it’s an action or inaction that has the result of tempting another person to sin against their beliefs or conscience. This can be accidental or purposeful. For example, to do this on purpose would be to ask someone to do something that both of you know is wrong (like vandalism.) An example of an accidental stumbling block would be asking someone to play a video game that they are not allowed to play (or that they do not wish to play out of conscience), but you didn’t know that.

So, how can we implement this as Christians in our everyday lives? The bible has a couple of verses that explains very plainly what we are to do…

Romans 14:21
It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

1 Corinthians 8:13
Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.

Did you catch what this is saying? It’s totally different than what goes on most of the time. The bible is telling us that it would be better to give up all your Christian freedoms (things that you think are “OK”), than to do anything that would cause another Christian to be tempted to sin in their own walk.

“So, how do I know if something temps someone else to sin”…You just ASK!

Be very careful to cause someone to be tempted to sin against their conscience by inviting them to share some sort of entertainment that could be questionable (movies, TV shows, music, video games, etc.) Always ask the other person, “Do you have any convictions about this?” or “are you allowed to do this?” Don’t ask, “is this OK with you?” because this question is loaded with the implication that your standards (or your parent's standards, if your're still living at home) are way too extreme if it’s NOT OK.

Are you the leader of any relationship? Are you the one that organizes people in your group of friends to go to the movies? Even if you are not, this applies to everyone. Using this filter will demonstrate humility and love as you concern yourself more for others than your own desires. Not to mention that it is a biblical command for Christians. If you’re guilty of breaking this command recently, then an apology is certainly in order to anyone who you’ve caused to stumble.


As if this wasn’t enough, there is one more filter to talk about.

Stay tuned…

Part 7
_________________________________________
To view this entire essay in all it's parts click the link below:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dd39qkdv_128g6hwg3dr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,