Skip to main content

Born Again?

In my last post (link) I made this statement:
“Every true Christian has been born again. And if you've been born again, you know it!”

I would like to explain what I mean by this so there isn’t any confusion. We’ve all heard people say, “So and so is a ‘born again’ Christian.” Is there a difference between a ‘born again’ Christian and normal, everyday Christian? To be as simple as possible with my explanation, I will say that there are people who claim to be Christians, but are not; and there are true Christians. True Christians are ‘born again’ according to scripture. So saying that you are a ‘born again’ believer is the same thing as saying that you are a true Christian believer. I’m not suggesting that Christians use the phrase all the time, but it is biblical as I intend to show. Here is the main passage of scripture that introduces this idea to us.

John 3:3-8
1Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that you have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him." 3Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." 4Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?" 5Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6"That which is born of the flesh is flesh and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7"Do not be amazed that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' 8"The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

Jesus is simply trying to explain that the only way God can receive anyone into His kingdom is if that person goes through a spiritual transformation-- A “rebirth”, where the still-born human spirit is given new life that is imputed with Christ’s righteousness.
This is salvation! When this occurs in a person’s life, the Holy Spirit takes up residence and the results of that are spiritual “fruit” and good “deeds.” This process is “caused” by God, as we see here in 1 Peter 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

The other, more controversial, thing I said was that if you’re born again, you know it! I want to qualify and defend that statement for you. I wasn’t trying to imply that every Christian knows the exact moment that they were saved. Some do, some don’t. What I was trying to say, was that all true believers should have a general assurance about their salvation. Romans 8:16 comes to mind:


16The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

This verse is saying that we can sense the Holy Spirit working in our lives as Christians. This reinforces our faith, gives us confidence, and gives us strength to endure trials while here on earth. Not everyone knows exactly when this “re-birth” occurs. The fruit of the spirit, listed in Galatians 5:22 (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, etc.) gives us a description of the Holy Spirit, and we can look at our lives to see if the evidence of His presence is there or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,