Skip to main content

Who Is Your Real Friend? (All Christians Please Read.)

Some may think that I have some sort of irrational distaste for movies. I can assure you, this distaste does not come from trying to make myself pious or “holier than thou.” In my ten year journey as a Christian, I have slowly come to realize the larger picture regarding the movies that we all love to consume.

I'd like to share some personal thoughts with you.

In my pre-Christian days, I was just like everyone else; I went to see just about every movie that came out that was worth seeing. I didn’t much concern myself with the content. In 1997, I surrendered my life to Christ, and my conscience gave immediate testimony to the things I was doing that were wrong. One of those things was watching movies that contained content that was sinful according to the bible. Every now and then I would go see a movie, defying my conscience, but felt terrible after doing it. As I grew in my Christian walk, I more and more treasured the scriptures and less and less cared about entertaining myself with immorality. There was a cost, however. I had to make decisions that were difficult and embarrassing at times. What do you do when all your friends are going to see the latest movie and they invite you? When you stand for what is right, you may end up creating an uncomfortable situation where you say , “I’d rather not”, and then the inevitable question comes up, “Why not?”

Now what? This question is the pivot point. Do you choose the easy path and go along with the crowd or the difficult path that could potentially lead you to being alienated from your friends. This is the pivot point because you have to choose what is most important to you (friends or God). Very few people choose the difficult path because the cost seems so high. When your friends ask “why not?” the honest answer will immediately burst the “happy bubble”, because when you say anything that points out that someone is doing something wrong you are “asking for it”. Any answer that isn’t honest is a sin, so the trick is to answer truthfully, but with extreme grace. The truth is, no matter how graceful you are, you will find yourself being excluded from “Movie Nights.” This begins the process of separation from the world. It is a tearing away that is quite painful at first, but soon becomes easier. Remember the verse in James that says “friendship with the world is hostility towards God?” Are you a Christian, wondering why your relationship with God seems so distant? We can only be God's “friend” when we have separated ourselves from the world.

I mentioned a “larger picture.”

Whether you realize it or not, the people that create the movies and TV shows that you consume have an agenda—and it’s not good. In short, they want to blast you with so much immorality that eventually you won’t even recognize it as immorality. Your mind will become hardened and apathetic towards wickedness. You’ll even find yourself laughing at it rather than weeping over it. Why would this be anyone’s agenda? At best, it’s just about money…causing Christians to lower their moral defenses and entertain their flesh; at worst, it’s an evil conspiracy to wipe out Christianity by destroying its distinctiveness. Even if it’s something in between, do you want to be a part of funding this agenda?

I’m thinking it’s time Christians choose friendship with God over friendship with the world, no matter the cost! I think we can handle the cost of a little embarrassment if Christ suffered the cost of going to the cross for our salvation.

Here’s a Christian Tract from the 1820’s. I hope it convicts you as much as it did me.

The Christian and the Theater

(Published by the American Tract Society, 1820's) [I paraphrased where required for clarity.]

Might going to the movies be a sinful waste of time…

…if this experience tends to give us an excuse to lower our moral defenses, counteracting our ability to be “of sober spirit”;

…if one would never go, and upon their knees, thank God for it, or ask God to use it for kingdom purposes after it was over:

…if most all movies contain indecency and profanity, and frequently glorify immorality;

…if people who attend these movies, by giving their money, encourage and support sin as a way of life;

then, we should ask ourselves;

Can a disciple of Jesus Christ, who professes to be governed by the Spirit, and strives to imitate the example of his Divine Master; who is commanded to "live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present evil world;" who is warned to have "no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather to reprove them;" who is required to "crucify the flesh, with the affections and lusts;" and "whether he eats or drinks, or whatever he does, to do all to the glory of God;" can a disciple of Christ, I say, who is commanded to "shun the company of the profane," to "avoid the very appearance of evil," and to pray, "Lead us not into temptation"--can this disciple be found in such a place without being in sin; without polluting his/her conscience, staining his/her character, and offending his/her God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,