Skip to main content

A Divine...Suggestion

The bible is full of principles and commandments. Have you ever asked yourself, "Why are there all those commands? Do we, like children, think to ourselves, "God must be all about robbing me of all the fun in life?" Or have we grown up a bit to see that just like our parents placed rules in our lives to keep us safe and to make sure that we have the best chance possible at succeeding in life, I'm certain that our heavenly Father is the same with regard to the commands given in scripture. He loves and cares for us, and has given us everything we need to avoid many of the pitfalls and temptations of life.


I found out that there are 6,468 specific commands in the bible. There are also divine suggestions. Did you know that?

I have on my mind something specific this morning regarding pre-marital dating. I want to emphasize a point that I believe will give us guidance as we begin to consider whether or not to follow the worldly custom of dating.

I want to look at 1 Corinthians, chapter 7. This section of scripture contains both commands and "suggestions". (I've shown only the relevant scriptures here)

1 Now concerning the things about which you wrote, it is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband....

6 But this I say by way of concession, not of command....

9 But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.


There is so much to explain here, but I'll get straight to the point.

In verse one the NAS translation renders the literal "not to touch a woman." This is translated in other versions as "not to marry". In bible times unmarried men did not even touch unmarried women so they would avoid the appearance of immorality. This became a common phrase to describe an unmarried man. Paul is suggesting men stay single as long as possible to be more available for Kingdom work. He is not commanding singleness. The point? Unmarried men should keep a distance from unmarried women to avoid the appearance of immorality. What immorality? Unmarried sexual intimacy, which was called fornication in the bible and it was (and still is) a very serious sin.

What is the practical application for us today? It's given straight to us in verse 9. If you can't resist your sexual urges, then its far better for you to get married than stay single and struggle with sexual temptation. Marriage is the only biblically sanctioned context for a man and woman to experience sexual and emotional intimacy.

Now I'm going to offer a bit of advice of my own here. A suggestion that isn't divine, but worth hearing anyway. If you find yourself in an exclusive dating relationship, you may feel like it's perfect, right, and good. But, by sharing intimacy of any sort with someone who is not your wife, you are stealing that intimacy away from your future spouse, and causing the other person to steal from their future spouse. All of your heart is to be reserved for the one you marry. ALL OF IT!

So stop stealing all the benefits that are supposed to come in the covenant of marriage (which includes emotional as well as physical intimacy, alone time, pet names, etc.) and begin to save what's left of your heart for the one you will marry. If you date for any other reason than marriage, then you are doing it to satisfy your own lustful cravings. To me that is simply selfish and ignoble.

I sounded harsh on purpose, but mostly I want what's best for all those that find this note. I'm convinced that God also wants you to experience life without regrets and that is one reason we have the scriptures.

Please consider these things and pray that God would show you what to do in your own life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,