Skip to main content

Going “all-in” for Jesus.

The final test of true Christian discipleship

Mark 14:31
But Peter kept saying insistently, "Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!" And they all were saying the same thing also.
Peter and the disciples were, at least publicly, willing to die for Jesus. We know that when the first test came, Peter and the others failed. However, we do know that they all eventually were martyred for their faith.

Acts 5:41
So they went on their way from the presence of the Council, rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name.
Peter and the apostles were preaching about Christ and the religious leaders were so enraged they tried to kill them, but one leader intervened and stopped them. They had no intention of stopping or changing their message to appease the crowd or fit it with the “system.” They were preaching and living for Christ without any concern for their own lives.

Acts 21:13
Then Paul answered, "What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but even to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."

The apostle Paul, states his willingness to die for Jesus clearer than any other passage in the bible.

Philippians 1:21
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
When Paul says “to live is Christ”, he means that to be alive was to be a servant of Christ, and “to die is gain,” implies that Paul thought that dying was just as good or better option. At this point in his life, it appears that He couldn’t decide if he preferred to be with Christ or continue his ministry of letter writing and suffering from Roman imprisonment.

Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
This passage is one of the clearest statements from Jesus regarding the issue of true discipleship. The original hearers knew exactly what it meant to “take up your cross.” It meant a death sentence. This was not a seeker friendly invitation to “come after” Christ. Notice that the “follow me” comes after “taking up your cross.” So one who truly follows Christ understands that it is all or nothing.

Matthew 24:9
"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.
Jesus did not sugar-coat the cost of following Him. In fact, he was very clear about what the true believer would expect…persecution, hatred and death. How’s that for an invitation? This is quite different than the ones we hear at church.


Matthew 10:33
"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.
The most striking statement made by Jesus in regard to Christian living. How often do we “deny” Jesus, simply by behaving exactly like every other non-believer. Do our choices of music, dress, and entertainment deny him? Does the way we talk and act deny him? Do we deny him by ignoring him throughout the day? What about when an opportunity comes up to share the gospel or defend biblical truth? Do we deny him with our inaction?


When I ask myself these questions the answer is unfortunately, “Guilty on all counts”. Even though I am grieved with my own self assessment, I know that I have been saved by God’s grace, and I can take comfort in knowing that the apostle Paul who wrote most of the New Testament dealt with the same frustrations when dealing with the weakness of his own flesh.

Romans 7:23-24
Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?
Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,