Skip to main content

Being Saved From The Ways of Wicked Men - Part 1 - Proverbs 2:12-15

Proverbs 2:12-15 ESV
Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse, who leave the straight paths to walk in dark ways, who delight in doing wrong and rejoice in the perverseness of evil, whose paths are crooked and who are devious in their ways.

There are two main ideas presented here. One is that there are wicked men. The other is that they have bad ways that we need to be saved from. Wisdom, in these proverbs, is the personification of God. But more specifically, I would say that wisdom is a person's conscience that has been filled up with the truth of God, so that when temptations come along, decisions can be made that will keep us from falling into the traps of Satan. Since wicked men are often the tools Satan uses to try to tempt us, these verses tell us how to identify these men. Of course, this doesn't exclude women.
In this post, I'm just going to take a close look at the first bit of advice we are given.


Godly wisdom will protect us "from men whose words are perverse"

    "Perverse" is defined as that which is generally wicked or corrupt. There is no reason to place any other shade of meaning to that word here in this context. So, I would say we are being warned of the dangerous influence of those whose speech is laced with such things as profanity, bitterness, anger, deceit or impropriety. 
     I don't know about you, but I have experienced this happen in my own life. There have been times when I have overheard someone speaking "perversely",  and it has influenced how I began thinking and talking. Let's face it, perverse talk is fun (in a "feed your flesh" sort of way). And it's easy to fall into. As Christians, if we don't discipline ourselves to purity in our speech, then we will kill our witness for Christ. Even worse, if you claim to follow Christ, yet what goes in your mind and comes out of your mouth is perverse things, it screams out "hypocrite!"
     This proverb has given us a way to combat this temptation. In addition to the daily discipline of saturating our minds with biblical teaching, we are to do all we can to STAY AWAY from all things (people, movies, TV shows, music, games, and books) that use or contain perverse speech. 
     I know that most people will dismiss this advice. I know that many would consider the application that I have drawn from this passage to be "extreme" and unnecessary. However, I stand confident, that when God "speaks" through His Word as plainly as it is here, I can know that it is His will for my life. My crusade isn't against movies and TV, for simply striving for moral excellence cannot and has not ever saved anyone's soul. My crusade is to encourage others, as well as myself, to follow Jesus. Applying and obeying scripture is a means to that end.

PART 2 can be found here.

Comments

  1. I would say that we can see this with great clarity in kids. I think of how as a middle schooler, we loved to say curse words. It fed our flesh, made us think we sounded grown up, and scored us cool points.

    Great points. Thanks for expounding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that you were going through Proverbs until Kimm told me. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly go through it yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to read my previod posts on proverbs, just click on the 'Proverbs ' tag under the post and all the posts will line up in backwards order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you still want to go through this series, I have done some work and provided links at the bottom of each post to go to the next post in the series. Just start here>

    http://chrisquinlan.blogspot.com/2008/07/my-journey-through-proverbs.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,