Skip to main content

Peter's "Trump Card" - 2 Peter 1:16-18

 
2 Peter 1:16-18
16 For we did not follow cleverly devised tales when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty. 17 For when He received honor and glory from God the Father, such an utterance as this was made to Him by the Majestic Glory, "This is My beloved Son with whom I am well-pleased"-- 18 and we ourselves heard this utterance made from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
Peter has just been saying that his martyrdom was imminent and that his goal was to remind Christians of the things he thought were important. From what I can tell, Peter thought that it was important to live in a manner worthy of Christ. The other item, that was very important to all the original apostles, was the preservation of the true gospel message as given by Jesus. The passage today begins the emphasis on this subject that carries through as the main theme of this entire book.
In today's passage Peter sets the foundation for his rebuke of false teachers and "prophets" by establishing his authority as an eyewitness to Christ's transfiguration.
You can read about the transfiguration of Jesus in Matthew 17.
Peter begins by telling Christians that the things that he says are not "made-up" stories. The "we" in this section is Peter and the Christians that followed Peter.
As I grow older, I see more and more how deception and manipulation are used to get people to believe something (which often precedes a request for money). We are emotional creatures, and a good, well crafted, story can have a strong influence on our minds. That is why the most effective way to sell something, (including a system of beliefs) is to have someone give a heartfelt testimonial. We tend to trust and believe people who seem to be sharing something from their heart. This emotional weakness has been exploited all throughout time to manipulate people in one way or another. I've experienced this first hand recently in my life.
Peter is pulling out his "trump card" to claim his legitimacy. This being that he was one of three people to have witnessed Jesus on the mount of transfiguration. Basically, Peter says, "I saw Jesus, I heard the voice from heaven! I'm the one who you should listen to, not these guys who have come along with some clever made-up stories."
Let us all be reminded that there are those that would deceive us with lies and stories that will seem to be very convincing. My advice... Be on your guard, and don't believe everything you hear; especially if someone asks for your money at the end. How do we know who or what to believe? It's tough sometimes to know, but we can always trust that God is telling us the truth through His Word.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,