Skip to main content

The “Wisdom” of Steve Jobs

As a Christian, I must always be careful not to get caught up in the wisdom and philosophies that grow popular. With the recent death of Steve Jobs, there has been an outpouring of praise and adoration for this man who brought us really neat gadgets, and by many accounts was a tremendous success. With that success, many have wondered how they can also have such success for themselves. One way is to look at the life of someone like Steve Jobs and study his methods of doing business and his leadership techniques, and then try to imitate these things. But to really get at the core of someone like Steve Jobs, you need to understand the values and principles that led to his actions.

Over Ten Million people have viewed Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address on YouTube and other places on the web. In this speech Steve tells his life story and gives the hearers a glimpse into the philosophies that drove him. Many of the statements were very motivational and inspirational to the audience, but I want to take a closer look and see how this “wisdom” compares with the true wisdom of God through the bible.

“Trust In Yourself”
One of my personal philosophies resembles something Steve Jobs said in his speech:
“The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.”
This is great. However, this statement preceded it:
"Don’t lose faith. I’m convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did.”
It’s fairly clear that the “faith” spoken about here is faith in one’s self, not in God. In other words, “trust in your own abilities and in the hope that following your personal affections & desires will somehow work toward your personal success.” The book of Proverbs has something quite different for us:
“‘Trust the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding.” Prov. 3:5
“Follow Your Heart”
Here is what looks like some good advice from Steve Jobs:
“Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”
I understand the advice here. “Don’t try to be someone else or just lazily fulfill what others expect of you.” This is good in that it encourages creative thinking and frees up the individual to pursue greater things. No problem there. However, it’s the subtle and underlying, “follow your heart”, humanistic philosophy that troubles me. Here’s what the bible says regarding how we should trust our heart:
Jeremiah 17:9 (NIV)  “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure.”
I think the balance here is to follow your dreams, but always realize that your carnal human flesh will only seek to satisfy it’s own cravings, so seek and submit to follow the “dogma” found in the scriptures.

“Live For Today”
"If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" Steve Jobs
This is good advice. Even the great American theologian Jonathan Edwards wrote in his 99 Resolutions:
19. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if I expected it would not be above an hour, before I should hear the last trump.
Which translated into American English means, “I vow to live in such a way, that I will always consider each moment of my life as if it were my very last.”
Steve also has this to say about death:
“Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”
My translation: “Live for the moment because that’s all there is, do what you want”
Steve: “No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life.”
My translation: “Death motivates me to remember that all I truly have is today.”
This is the logical conclusion that anyone without hope in God arrives at. “Live for the moment, Do what you want, Carpe Diem!” This is the philosophy of the Godless, for it totally contradicts the message of the bible, which is, “life is a vapor, and your eternity is all that really matters.”

Here is an enlightening documentary on this philosophy and how it has been woven into our culture


Steve concluded with this quote: “Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.”  I’m well aware that this quote is not meant to be taken literally, and represents an encouragement to stay creative and playful. I’m good with all that, and have given that advice to people myself. But I want to encourage everyone not to get caught up in the moment and neglect to be discerning when is comes to embracing ideas that run contrary to God’s Word, which is our only true source of wisdom.

So, instead of “Trust In Yourself, Follow Your Heart, and Live For Today”, I would say, “Trust Jesus, Follow Jesus, and Live for Jesus!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,