Skip to main content

My Paraphrase of Deuteronomy 6:4-18

This was a bible study exercise I did on my own a couple of years ago but have never published.  My goal was to be as accurate as possible in communicating the thought of the text, while paraphrasing into modern conversational English. I’ve converted all Old Testament references and illustrations into principles that a modern reader could understand.  This a loose, but carefully worded paraphrase, that is not meant to replace scripture, but to serve as a devotional study tool. or simply an encouragement for your personal walk with God. I’ve provided a link to the ESV translation if you would like to compare it to a real translation.

Listen up, all you who are God’s people. There is only one true and living God and there is no other. You must love God with every single fiber of your being. You must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands. Repeat them to yourself and to others. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are out with friends, at school, at work, or wherever you go; also when you go to bed and when you wake up. By all means, be creative and do whatever it takes to remember these things.

God has promised that you will experience blessings, that can only be attributed to God’s provision. It is God’s desire that you enjoy His blessing, but never forget who it was who blessed you. You must fear the Lord your God and serve him. Live with integrity and keep every promise you make. Live as if you fear God’s wrath if you break that promise.

You must not allow the religious or secular practices of your surrounding culture to steal away your attention and devotion of the one true God.  For YAHWEH, your God, desires your absolute devotion, and is displeased when you stray after worldly desires.  It is very unwise to test God’s anger by being unfaithful, as He has every right to judge sin at any moment. You must diligently obey the commands that God has given to you. It’s pretty simple actually; Do what is right and good according to the scriptures, and all will go well with you.
Deut. 6:4-18 ESV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,