Skip to main content

My Paraphrase of Romans Chapter 14

(I wrote this several years ago. This paraphrase represents a careful study of this text and my attempt to paraphrase in such a way, not to replace the scriptures, but as a study tool to deliver the principles of this chapter in modern language. Feel free to compare this with the scripture [Romans 14])

1 With respect to differing beliefs on non-critical matters, do not dismiss the convictions of those Christians who you determine to have an immature faith. 2 It is inevitable that Christians will have differing convictions about what is morally right and wrong. 3 The Christians with opposing ideas on right and wrong must not belittle or think less of each other. 4 One Christian does not have the authority to judge another. God will give all Christians, at all maturity levels, the strength to endure.

5 All Christians should make every effort to have well-informed convictions and beliefs. 6-8 All personal convictions, no matter how conservative or liberal, are made so as to please God with our lives. 9 (This is why Christ died for you, so that you would live for Him. 10-12 Why do you continue to assume the role of God, and cast judgment on those who are His alone to judge. God will judge us individually at judgment day. That’s His job, not yours!) 13 Instead, make every effort to adjust your own behavior, so that you will not cause another Christian to follow you into an action that would violate his/her convictions. 14 Each of us must consult our own conscience to determine if something is permissible or forbidden. If someone’s conscience tells them, “this is wrong”, then, to that person, it’s immoral. 15 If you are with another Christian and you continue to do something that you know that he or she thinks is wrong but you think is permissible, then you are being selfish, and you are not showing love to that person. Do not let what you think is “OK”, cause damage to someone else’s conscience.

16 By the way, don’t let onlooking unbelievers see you bickering over these things and give them an excuse to think poorly toward Christians. 17-18 These issues have some importance, but are small in comparison to things like personal righteousness, peace among Christians, and the enjoyment of the Holy Spirit guiding your life. All these are pleasing to both God and other people.19 We are to place a high priority on doing the things that lead to peace and the building up of the body of Christ. 20-21 It would be better for you to give up all your Christian freedoms (things that you personally believe are “OK”), than to do anything that would cause another Christian to have a conflict in their spiritual convictions. 22 It is even better to keep your personal convictions to yourself, if arguing about those things causes division amongst fellow believers.

If you follow these guidelines, you will be admired by others, and even more, you will enjoy peace of mind so long as you establish convictions for yourself that cannot be condemned by your own conscience. 23 Here's the bottom line -- If you go ahead and do something that another Christian tells you is “OK”, but that thing violates your conscience, you have sinned. God would much rather you obey your conscience, because to Him, your conscience is a representation of your faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,