Skip to main content

The "Secret" of Gaining Godly Wisdom

Proverbs 2:6-8

6 For the Lord grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
7 He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity.
8 He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to him
How does it help us to know that God grants (or gives) wisdom?


For one thing, it helps us to realize that we cannot gain true wisdom by simply growing older and discovering knowledge on our own, through education or experience. Even the sharpest minds of our day can study for years and come up with the most absurd things. All you have to do is flip on the television and tune into your local PBS station to find examples of this. "The Power of Intention", where all you need to do to be happy and successful is to somehow tune into the secret Source, and then simply "expect" things to happen and your mind will create mystical vibrations in the universe that will then draw those things directly to you. Do you think I'm making this up? Just watch for yourself sometime. This is the same conclusion that the best-selling book, "The Secret" has drawn. Just tell yourself, "I have a new car", and that car will begin to roll into your life. Is this is the pinnacle of human intellectual advancement? Unbelievable! People have spent millions of dollars trying to tap into this "source" of so-called knowledge. The biggest tragedy of all, is that some TV evangelists are now blending these ridiculous concepts into their sermons. We must always remind ourselves that true knowledge and true understanding come from His mouth. If what we hear conflicts with what God says, then we can know that it is wrong. Of course, we have to know what God says to be able to accomplish this.


This passage continues with promises to those that live with godly character. Interestingly, God bestows a treasure of common sense to those who are honest. I'm going to take a stab at why these two might be linked. When people lie, they must create false realities that exist side by side with the true reality. I can imagine that living this way can destroy a person's true sense of what is real and what is false. To be a "good liar", a person must actually begin to believe their own lies. I believe that living like this can actually damage the mind and can cause one to lose touch with reality. Always striving to live by the truth, however will keep one's mind clear and able to receive the treasure that God promises to grant.


The last three statements are similar in that they describe God's inclination to protect those that exhibit the character traits of integrity, justice, and faithfulness to Him.


According to these proverbs, we can trust that God will be on our side, looking out for us in a special way, so long as we are pursuing to imitate God in these ways in our day to day lives.


Integrity - Consistent public and private adherence to personally held morals and ethical principles.
Justice - Decisions and actions that are based on fairness, truthfulness, and righteousness.
Faithfulness - Single-minded devotion to God and a shunning of all other things that would temp or distract.

This last one - Faithfulness, stuck in my mind as I was studying this passage. As a Christian, I am part of the bride of Christ...the church. Then I thought about my own marriage... I would never consider being unfaithful to my wife. Not in a million years would I cheat on her. But, it occurred to be, that I cheat on Christ every time I willingly choose to sin. Even worse, when I do this, I cheat on Him, right in front of him! I had a whole new perspective of "faithfulness", when I considered things from this perspective.


I think we all can admit that we have some things in our lives that need to be adjusted to line up with this promised blessing.


Continue to the next post in my Proverbs study

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,