Skip to main content

The Pleasure of Wisdom and Friendship with God - Proverbs 2:9-11

It has been somewhat challenging for me to decide how divide up the proverbs into short passages for study. The other challenge is working through the context of wisdom styled literature. My interpretive tendencies push me to accept the words of scripture as literal. However, I know that the proverbs are written in a style that should not always be interpreted in a literal fashion. This may trouble some readers, but the nature of wisdom literature requires the reader to accept that the truths in the proverbs are not necessarily literal promises, but truisms or generalized truth statements.

Understanding this can greatly help the reader understand the wisdom of the proverbs and keep them from becoming unnecessarily frustrated. This is especially when we look around at our circumstances and wonder why a certain proverb doesn't seem to be accurate or truthful. For example, the proverb that immediately comes to mind is Prov. 22:6, which states, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

How many parents of wayward children have held on to this proverb as a promise, that if they took their child to church and personally trained them in Godliness to the best of their ability, that they would turn out to be wonderful God-fearing people when they grew up. If this is a literal promise from God, then it would be understandable that the parents would feel like they must have dropped the ball or that God is a liar. Since few Christians would entertain the latter for very long, most will feel that they messed up as parents. While it is certainly true that all parents will make mistakes, it is unfortunate that many parents will carry unnecessary guilt because of poor interpretation skills. If you understand that this was a general truth, then when circumstances SEEM to contradict scripture, then we can know that God's word is true and it is simply our understanding that needs adjustment. I'm tempted to digress further on this subject, but I'll get back to the proverbs.


A reminder that the last section told us that we can trust that God will be looking out for us in a special way, so long as we are pursuing integrity, justice, & faithfulness in our day to day lives. This section summarizes this for us and continues with more proverbial wisdom...

Proverbs 2:9-11


9 Then you will discern righteousness and justice and equity and every good course.10 For wisdom will enter your heart and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul; 11 Discretion will guard you, understanding will watch over you,


There is nothing like the soul-satisfying pleasure of knowing that you are on the same side as God. If, however, you are not, then your soul will be in conflict. You will never be at rest unless your are certain that you are a friend of God. God has graciously made a way for that to happen through Jesus Christ.


Continue to the next post in my Proverbs study...



Comments

  1. Good words. I'd like to see you expound a little more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word! I'd like to hear you expound more...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,