Skip to main content

Some Thoughts On Christianity and Politics

As I observe humanity, I see that most people by their mid 20's have made up their mind about certain spiritual things and political things. So, my point in this short blog post is not to try and change your mind about anything, but just to mention some things I've observed and hopefully spark some thought. I've been thinking a lot lately about what makes people believe what they believe. I know that much of what we believe (our worldview) comes from our experiences in life. Specifically, the people that we've grown to trust. Our parents, our church, and our friends. So, the question... what causes perfectly reasonable and rational people to believe so differently about things?

I've been thinking about politics and how divided our country seems to be.  I've been trying to figure out the core differences between the various political parties. I'm not talking about the current issues, so much as I mean the deeper differences. The issue that has me most interested, is the fact that people can say they belong to the same religion, and be on opposite sides of the political spectrum. 

So, what is the fundamental difference that divides us?

As I've been reading and thinking this through, I've come to some conclusions that I think help explain this. As I read about the differences between conservative and liberal political philosophy, I noticed one thing that was consistent. Both want to do the right thing to help people and to facilitate peace and prosperity in this country and around the world. These are shared core values for everyone (except the truly evil among us, I suppose). It's when we go deeper that I find the differences. After pondering on this for some time, I've concluded that our political philosophy is directly tied to our personal values and our theological values. 

Questions like, "What is the role of government?" which is the question that differentiates the political parties, are answered by what we value most? If you value individual responsibility and limited government, then you are considered more conservative. If you value equal opportunity and equality for all through government programs then you would be more liberal. The differences lie in the methods of achieving the common values of peace and prosperity. Who is right? That's a complicated question that isn't going to be solved in this post, but I'm of the opinion that conservative values are the most consistent with the values that are to be found in the only source of truth that we have. The Bible. Properly interpreted as divine truth, and with a view that the bible is a book from God and not just about God, the moral principles found in the scripture align consistently with conservative views on issues.  This explains why most Christians are politically conservative. Yes, some Christians are liberal politically, but what I've found is that most are also liberal theologically as well. This liberal theology is at best is a servant to a progressive, post-modern culture, at worst is functionally non-existent. 

I understand that people disagree on just about everything, and I also understand that we all think we're right. I'm honest enough to admit that I don't know for sure that everything I believe is correct. However, certain things must be held as truth. I'm just doing the best I can to understand things, and I'm sure that I've got a lot to learn. I hope my readers will consider my opinions and at least think about why we believe what we believe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards In Plain English. (#1-10)

Jonathan Edwards is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians. His writings have benefited many Christians throughout the years. I was impressed with these resolutions and so I have attempted to translate them into the language of the day. I understand that I may have missed Edward’s full meaning at some level, but I made every attempt to capture the essence of the original author and summarize in such a way as to benefit the modern reader. There are 70 resolutions in all. I have summarized the first ten here. I hope you enjoy these. ________________________________ 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I mee

My Favorite Verse in the Bible

For the next several posts, I will be sharing the answers to a questionnaire that I received from a friend. His assignment was to ask these questions to several adults and record the answers. I decided to put some time and effort into these questions, so I thought I would post them here. 1. Favorite Bible Verse? Why? Can I have two? I can’t decide which is more powerful. Of course, there are many, many others that I could have chosen. This is why I have never picked a favorite. Here are two of my favorites. If I absolutely had to choose between these two, I would pick 2 Timothy 4:8. Romans 8:38-39 “38  For I (Paul) am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  39  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 2 Timothy 4:8 “There is reserved for me (Paul) the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Ju

My Thoughts On The Same-Sex Marriage Debate

The teachings of the Bible reveal to us that marriage was designed by God to be a “picture” of the relationship between Jesus and His “church” (his true followers.) He did this to show His love and devotion, and to illustrate His role as “head”. Those of us that embrace the Bible see marriage as one of the most important institutions created by God. Therefore we cannot and should not try to redefine it. To do so would distort God’s purpose in creating it. Marriage is one of the most explicitly described concepts in the bible. It only has one meaning. Ephesians 5:31-32 , which quotes Genesis 2:24 Opponents of same-sex marriage are often described as bible-thumping bigots that hate people who have embraced the homosexual lifestyle. This is a fallacy that attempts to paint an opponent with negative stereotypes in order to discredit them. While there may be a few people out there that can be described in this way, most are not. There are good reasons to oppose the homosexual agenda,